Pages

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Now is Not The Time for Men of Weak Constitutions in Todays Current Oilfield Environment



There is no joke that the OPEC nations are trying to destroy American oil industry. The powerful OPEC members are even defeating the weaker OPEC members. We as American oil men must stand strong against the all out war on our energy independence. Times are tough in the Bakken right now and many have had to move on to greener pastures. Oil has fallen through the floor and OPEC strongholds are doubling down to beat us back further.

I pray that the oil companies who have invested in the Bakken formation hunker down and weather the storm no matter how nasty it gets. Why? Well, because that's the American way. We fight when we're cornered. We must stand strong even if we don't turn a profit. What did I just say? Yep, you heard right, we must keep producing even if that means using our own money instead of the profits from sales to keep us a float. The difference between our resiliance and theres is that most of their entire economies rely wholly on oil. Americas economy is more diversified and so our staying power doesn't revolve as much around oil production.

The one thing I've learned is that we've had our ups and downs, but we seem to always find our way out. Am I nervous? Sure I am! Do good times last forever? Of course not! Do bad times last forever? Of course not! My grandpa put this cycle into perspective for me once upon a time. He said, "I've been through the great depression. I've been through the great world wars. I've survived many recessions, but life goes on regardless." His 90+ years of adversity-laden experience gives me great strength when dealing with the in-my-face problems that I encourter from day to day.

I remember reading a book years agon by Donald Trump and a little phrase in that book stuck with me. I can't remember exactly how he said it, but the jist of it was him saying that the reason that he's been so successful is because he always puts out little fires. That's a profound way to deal with adversity. If we put out little fires, we won't have to deal with blazing infernos. This for me, means that if I'm paying attention to what's on the horizon, what life dishes out shouldn't be too much of a suprise. I hope those of you who rocked the Bakken through the good times were smart enough to save some money to make it through the slow times.

There may come a point when the effort is no longer worth the investment and a smart business person will recognize this tipping point and make the necessary adjustments. The oil industry throughout the U.S. is going through a tuning phase. Companies have pulled back and are moving cautiously forward. Budgets aren't what they were a year ago. Jobs aren't what they were a year ago. Everybody is feeling the squeeze, but it doesn't need to be the end. Companies are keeping the most productive employees and letting the lazy ones go. Systems are being scrutinized to make the process more efficient and cost-effective.

It's important to see these changes so that you can make the necessary adjustments to your own behavior. Become part of the solution instead of the part of the problem and you'll find that you're value to the company you're a part of will increase. Think of ways you can be a better driver, a better mechanic, a better listener, a better partner. If all falls into chaos all that matters is food, water, clothing and shelter anyway. When times are tough, Americans bear one anothers burdens so we can make it through and be the better for when the greener pastures return.

Think of ways that you can lift up those around you. Keep a good attitude and spread that attitude around to those you work with. Go above and beyond what's expected and don't quit a good situation. Those who stick it through the hard times are often rewarded during the good times. Life is about relationships and good ones are built on honor, integrity, trust and loyalty. I'm not trying to get preachy, but the oilfield can be one of the most unfriendly places on the planet. I remember getting stuck one day and truck after truck after truck passed me in sub-zero temperatures as I tried to flag someone down to borrow a snow chain binding tool.  Why?

This roughneck mentality is required to survive through the hardships of everyday oilfield life, but the asshole part of it is ingnorance at its finest. Truckers are a tough bunch and have a natural inclination to be loners, but deep down we all long for the same thing--belonging.

No comments:

Post a Comment