Pages

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Some Water Hauling Companies Hire Drivers with Limited Oilfield Experience



The Best Job in North Dakota was published back in October of 2013. I just got word from a friend of mine who actually hired someone who had read my book. We were texting back and forth about oilfield gossip when he said. "I just hired a guy that read your book". I then texted him back with this question: "How do you know that he read my book?".

This was his reply, "I asked the guy if he had any experience and he said no, but I read a book." I asked my friend for the guys name so I could check my database and sure enough, he did buy the book. This little story makes me wonder how many truckers have had success finding a job in North Dakota after reading my book.

I am humbled each time I hear a success story about somebody finding a job with the help of my book. The economy stinks right now for a lot of people and many of these people are truck drivers. Many of the truckers I've talked to in the oil patch have come from areas where trucking jobs have become harder and harder to get, because a lot of industries have slowed way down.

The oil boom in North Dakota is anything but slow. The opportunities for quality drivers to find quality, high-paying jobs are numerous. Honestly, there are more jobs then there are qualified drivers to fill them. If you're a driver without oilfield experience, then don't get discouraged. My buddy hired a guy without experience and so why not you?

The driver he hired did have 25 years of experience driving truck though. Anybody with trucking experience is going to have an advantage, but I know folks who had no trucking experience who are now water haulers. I have some people ask me if there are any companies in the patch who are willing to hire someone without experience.

The answer is "yes", but you have to do your homework to find them. I've seen classified ads mention they're willing to "train the RIGHT" individual for the job. What does this mean? It means they are willing to take the risk if YOU can prove you're worth hiring. How do you do that? You have to have it in your nature to be a self-starter, a hard-worker, easy-to-get-along-with, mechanically-minded and hungry for money. You have to have a Class A CDL with a clean MVR, be able to pass a pre-employment drug test and company driving test.

If you can manuever an 18-wheeler forward and backwards, you shouldn't have a problem. I've been on well-sites where I've seen inexperienced truck drivers make several attempts to backup their trailers. The fact is that they are inexperienced, but the fact is also that they GOT THE JOB. There is nothing wrong with pulling up whenever your trailer goes the wrong way. I've been driving since 2005 and I still screw up on occasion.

In the words of Winston Churchill, "Never Give Up! Never, Never Give Up!"

No comments:

Post a Comment