Pages

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Water Hauler's Cold Weather Clothing Tips For North Dakota Winters


These are the sweetest beenie hats. The flaps make all the difference when you don't want to wear a ski mask, but still want more warmth than a typical beenie hat can provide. Notice I'm wearing two hoodie jackets. A lighter one under a heavier one. Multiple layers is the secret to staying warm In cold climates. When I'm fully dressed, I'll often have up to 6 layers on. Body heat gets trapped in all of those layers to further insulate you against the cold.

 

This neck band is pulled down over my head to snuggle my neck from that extra, ever-present cold air that has a way of leaking in to chill my neck area.

 

Fleece or flannel-lined pants make a huge difference when it comes to keeping your lower bodyextremities warm in the wind. I wear bib over-alls over these.


Don't forget a pair of sheep-skin slippers to wear on the floor of that cold truck sleeper.


Chemical resistant gloves are a water haulers best friend because produced oilfield water has a way of destroying gloves.

 

These have a liner to help keep fingers nice and toasty. Get a few pairs so you can rotate gloves in under the truck's cab heater. They are prone to internal condensation build-up going from hot to cold while getting in and out of your truck. Having a few pairs ensures you always have a warm, dry pair to wear.


These gloves aren't chemical resistant as you can see the rubber coating is disintegrating.

 

Cold feet will make your life miserable on a service work job. The secret is to wear waterproof boots with a removable insulating liner. Just like the rubber gloves, internal condensation builds up during the day while you work. Your feet will stay warm, but after your shift there will be moisture inside. Pull the liners out of your boots and set them on the defrost vents of your truck. Set the boots on the floor beneath the floor heating vents and by next shift, you'll have nice, dry boots to wear. I haven't been able to find where to buy just the boot inserts, so i decided to buy two pairs of this style of boot. This ensures that I'll have warm & dry feet on every job.

 

I've seen so many water haulers done the ski masks, but not have the ski goggles. When the temperature is -60°F below 0° due to a windchil factor, nothing makes my job more bearable than a pair of high-quality ski goggles; to protect my eyes from blinding snow and stinging wind. Get the anti-fog ones. You won't regret this investment.

 

There will be jobs that require a boot that allows you to venture into deeper liquids, even in subzero temperatures. These boots boast a steel-toe and come insulated, if desired. I just wear a thicker sock with water-wicking fibers such as wool. Moisture is a problem with these boots too. After a job I'll just change my socks. I wipe my feet with baby wipes too since showers in the oilfield are a luxury. I set my boots under the floor heater to get them dry for next use. If it's a wet day and I have to wear them all day, I will pull them off while driving between sites to allow my feet to dry. When you do this work day in and day out, you learn real fast about how keeping warm has a prequisite of keeping dry. Damp gear is a recipe for hating your job. 

A rain suit is an absolute must-have for water hauling in North Dakota. Make sure you buy a size big enough to go over all of your layers.

Interested in making big money as a water hauler? 

Buy the book, "The best job in North Dakota". Visit Haulwater.com for more information.

1 comment:

  1. It seems like it would be a good idea to dress very warm during the winter. When you are water hauling you have to get out of your truck every once in a while to check on things. That way when you do have to go outside you won't freeze to death. http://www.dwjensendrilling.com/

    ReplyDelete